Matt Fisher Player Profile

Debut: Morecambe (H, 3-1), 20/10/2001

Matt Fisher was signed by Paul Fairclough to strengthen the centre of Boro’s midfield. However he was unable to go straight into the team as he had some personal issues to clear up, and was carrying an injury for quite a substantial amount of time.

But after some time, the Boro were rewarded with a good quality strong midfielder that really did help the struggling side function. He made his debut for the club in Boro’s 3-1 win over Morecambe. He played strong and committed roles in the central midfield position.

However, a different side of Matt was seen in Boro’s 2-1 defeat at home to Boston when he scored his first goal for the Boro, and added to this only two weeks later when grabbing a goal at Yeovil in the 2-1 defeat.

Matt was not wanted for his scoring ability – he was in the squad to add strength to the midfield, and for many games he did this. Fisher could be seen in the middle of the park at the majority of games throughout 2002.

The introduction of Richard Howell on the wing meant Simon Wormull moving to the central position and Fisher being demoted to the bench. From this point forward, Matt really did struggle to get back into the side as his performances were dropping off somewhat, and many people knew he wasn’t the player he was at the beginning of his spell.

He made numerous appearances for the reserves but rarely good enough to get him back into the first team. However he stuck with it and worked hard, occasionally Wayne Turner rewarded him with a first team place but these opportunities were few and far between.

When Wayne Turner was dismissed, Matt was already clearly unsettled and a move had been on the cards for some time. The move looked like coming on 22 January, just six days before Stevenage’s new boss was appointed. This deal with Worksop Town fell through and Matt was at the Boro to welcome the new gaffer.

As Matt had already been placed on the transfer list, and with two new midfielders coming in from Farnborough, his days looked numbered, and sure enough in February 2002 he agreed terms with high flying Dr Martens leaders Tamworth. The Lambs had actually beaten Stevenage just eight days earlier in an embarrassing 3-0 defeat, which saw Boro’s FA Trophy hopes crushed.

Author: Tiny

Saturday 20 October 2001

Saturday 27 October 2001

Tuesday 30 October 2001

Saturday 03 November 2001

Saturday 10 November 2001

Saturday 17 November 2001

Saturday 24 November 2001

Saturday 01 December 2001

Saturday 15 December 2001

Saturday 12 January 2002

Saturday 19 January 2002

Friday 25 January 2002

Saturday 02 February 2002

Saturday 09 February 2002

Monday 25 March 2002

Saturday 30 March 2002

Monday 01 April 2002

Saturday 06 April 2002

Saturday 13 April 2002

Saturday 20 April 2002

Saturday 27 April 2002

Sunday 12 May 2002

Saturday 17 August 2002

Tuesday 20 August 2002

Saturday 24 August 2002

Monday 26 August 2002

Saturday 07 September 2002

Saturday 14 September 2002

Tuesday 17 September 2002

Saturday 21 September 2002

Monday 23 September 2002

Saturday 28 September 2002

Saturday 05 October 2002

Tuesday 08 October 2002

Saturday 12 October 2002

Saturday 19 October 2002

Saturday 04 January 2003

Tuesday 14 January 2003

Saturday 01 February 2003