Good Game: Forest Green 4-4 Stevenage


Bruce Forysth on SpotGood Game… A blog series looking at some of the more wonderful, the utterly memorable, the unbelievably dramatic and the downright ludicrous games which have Stevenage Borough over the years. But it must be said BoroGuide accepts no liability for the memories that may have been warped by time, age or alcohol consumption at the time. We will never refer to any games involving Macclesfield, particularly any at Broadhall Way.

Forest Green Rovers 4-4 Stevenage Borough
The New Lawn, Nailsworth — Monday 09 April 2007 — Conference National

After defeating Grays Athletic to ensure a second appearance in the FA Trophy Final, Boro’ stuttered in the league and saw their playoff aspirations dwindle. Just one win in six games – away at York – saw Mark Stimson’s men fall away from the top five, with minds arguably on the prospect of becoming one of the first teams to turn out at the New Wembley.

On a pretty unremarkable Easter Monday, Boro’ travelled west to Forest Green Rovers and were looking to halt the poor run of league form; one that had seen 11 goals conceded in six games. For the hosts, they were looking comfortable in their battle to remain outside of the relegation dogfight, but were still in search of absolute security.

If Boro’ had hoped for an upturn in fortunes, the first 21 minutes led to a swift rethink. In a mad five-minute spell starting on 16 minutes, the visitors were three goals down and bereft of ideas. Craig Dobson‘s strike on 33 minutes offered a glimmer of hope, but comebacks of such magnitude are rare – especially when its your own team involved.

However, the pendulum swung further towards Boro’ after the interval when Darren Jones saw red. Mitchell Cole further reduced the arrears 15 minutes later and suddenly it seemed conceivable. John Nutter bagged the equaliser from the spot and Steve Morison completed a crazy turnaround by putting the visitors ahead with nine minutes left. What could go wrong now?

Stimmo was bouncing and half jumping into the away fans. But there was obviously a final twist still to come. And it came deep into stoppage time. Lee Dodgson rescued a point with a great curling effort from the edge of the box, which evaded Alan Julian’s despairing hand and nestled in the back of the net. The full time whistle wasn’t too much later in coming – much needed time to take stock.

Previous articleCult Classic: Adrian Clarke
Next articleIf You Start Me Up…
BoroGuide runs the show around here, and has done since that glorious summer of 2002. We're not sure why it was so glorious; maybe it's the delirum of reliving David Seaman watching Ronald Eeeeenyo's lob drift over him. That and Boro' reaching the FAT final at Villa Park – not Wembley.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here